Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Flowers on the Porch

This weekend's beautiful weather was great for gardening, and the gardening was great for both me and my gardens. I'm always happier when I can get into the gardens, and the gardens are always happier when I'm around. As the Chinese proverb says, "The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow."

Saturday I worked in the Berry Patch and the temporary vegetable plot. Sunday morning found me putting things to order in the Cottage Garden. Work and rain and motherly duties and more demanding gardens have kept me from the Cottage Garden for too many days. It's not fair that the flowers get attention only after the food-bearing gardens have been cared for, but that's the way it is. Anyway, my first step was to clip back all the flowers that have grown into the path. The clipping made a nice centerpiece for our porch table. The choice of vase is in keeping with the feel of our back porch -- nothing fancy here!

No comments: