Friday, May 30, 2008

Thrive or Die


As my mother before me, as a last resort I occasionally employ the "thrive or die" philosophy of gardening. I have too much to do every day to pamper plants. This pink rose was a Mother's Day gift several years ago. Roses aren't exactly my thing, but at the time I thought it was lovely, in the full blush of nursery hand care. I set it out in a handy empty spot in my garden border, which just happened to be the worst clay in my yard. Needless to say, within a couple of years it was a shadow of its former self, struggling to live and producing a raggedly flower or two each spring. But it just refused to die!

Three years ago, I tired of that. I dug it up, pruned it within an inch of its life, moved it to a spot with better soil, and made sure it had lots of room for air to circulate around it. (My biggest weakness as a gardener is crowding plants. I just want to let ALL the seedlings grow!) And then I threatened it -- thrive or die! And it is thriving!!!

Thanks to Skye for the pictures.

No comments: